The new 2019 Toyota Rav 4 is the best Rav 4 since its introduction in 1995. It has state-of-the art technology, a better quality interior, an array of safety features and the most comfort and convenience features ever in a Rav 4.
The new Rav 4 is slightly shorter, a bit wider and has a longer wheelbase. It is available in front-wheel drive or all wheel drive. Its standard engine is a 2.5 liter 4-cylinder, and, a new hybrid model will be arriving soon. The new Rav 4 is slightly lower than last year’s model. An 8-speed automatic is standard on all models. The hybrid version will have a continuously variable transmission (CVT).
- New Exterior Styling
Exterior Styling is more aggressive and edgy – more truck like. There is a strong resemblance to the 4 Runner and Tacoma pickup. Because of its longer wheelbase, it has a shorter front and rear overhang. It has more “rugged” styled roof-rails. The new Rav 4 has higher ground clearance. Some models have a contrasting roof color.
- All New Interior
* The Rav 4 interior has higher quality materials, and it too has more “edgy” styling
* 7″ touchscreen is positioned on top of the dashboard
* 8″ touchscreen is included in an upgrade package. The 8″ screen has an infotainment system with built in navigation
* A digital display rear view mirror switches from a conventional mirror to a rear view monitor
* Other upgrades include a panoramic roof, ventilated seats and hands-free power lift gate
* Rear camera with a wide angle picture in the rear view mirror
* 7.0″ touchscreen is standard and comes with:
- Apple Car Play
- Amazon Alexa connectivity
- Wi-Fi antenna
* 8.0″ touchscreen (optional and/or as part of upper trim levels) has
- JBL audio system
- Up to 5 USB ports and charging pad for Qi compatible devices
- Higher trim levels have a 7.0 inch TFT display in the instrument cluster (driver’s line of sight)
- Climate and comfort controls are located below infotainment screen
- A control knob for different off-road drive modes is positioned next to the transmission lever. This is a standard feature on all Rav 4 trim levels
- Engine has been revised to produce 15% more horsepower than last year
- The hybrid model will be more powerful than the standard 4-cylinder models
- Expect considerably higher MPG than 4-cylinder models
- 8 – speed automatic on all 2.5 liter 4-cylinder models
- Continuous variable transmission (CVT) on hybrid models
Note: As of this writing, there are no specifics as to the different trim levels, and, there are no specifics as to which features go with each trim level.
All new Rav 4’s come with Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 that has a bevy of safety features including:
- Forward collision warning and mitigation with pedestrian detection
- Advanced adaptive cruise control
- Lane keeping assist with lane-trace assist
- Lane departure warning
- Auto high-beam headlights
- Traffic sign reader
- Optional blind-spot monitors, surround-view camera and rear cross-traffic braking
* All-Wheel Drive System
- New, all-wheel drive system features a rear drive train disconnect that deactivates the rear wheels when demand is low
– Benefit: Improved highway MPG
Note: Available on upper trim levels
- The Hybrid All Wheel Drive model will feature its own all wheel drive system that sends more power to the wheels than the 4-cylinder (gasoline) models.
What Do We Like?
- The new technology and safety features
- The overall smoothness of the engine, transmission and ride quality
- The terrific hybrid model’s MPG
- The better quality interior materials and improved interior layout
- The new multi-terrain control knob select system
- The more rugged styling
- The outstanding quality, fit and finish and reliability
- The new all wheel drive system
- More luxury features
- One of the largest interior volumes in its class
Overall, the new 2019 Rav 4 is improved in every aspect. It has a myriad of safety and comfort features. It has more power and increased MPG. It offers a new, top-of-the line hybrid model that incorporates all the new features and the highest MPG. Above all, it is a Toyota: highest reliability, high MPG, high resale value and equipped with an assortment of comfort, convenience and safety features.
Bottom line – You cannot go wrong with a Toyota. Check out the new Toyota Rav 4. They should be in Toyota showrooms now.
Remember for your auto parts, please shop online from Amazon.com, Tirerack.com and Vividracing.com.